Monday, October 1, 2007

To Do Or Not To Do, That Is The Question

I think I can understand the quandary Sherlock Holmes was in, when he said that. I am now in the same predicament. My dog, Popeye was sent to the vet last Thursday because mom discovered a few holes in the side of his body. He has been having this really chronic skin disease since he was about 2 or 3 years old, and it's just getting worse.

The holes are actually maggot wounds, and mom wanted him to be humanely euthanized (put to sleep) because it's become a real chore for her to take care of Popeye. When the van came to get him, he was so frightened and didn't want to get into the van. The driver had to pull him up the van forcefully. I felt really sad because we were sending him to his death, although it would probably also be a relieve for him because then he wouldn't have to scratch and bite himself 24x7.

Anyhow, I called the vet that evening. A Dr. Sunita told me that they had already cleaned the maggot wounds. Mom kept pestering me to tell them to put him to sleep. When I told the Dr., she said that she doesn't have the heart to do it, and that she thinks his skin problems are treatable, although it will be long term and may cost a lot.

I told her about all the diets / soaps / creams / ointments / spray / medicine we've tried over the years but it didn't work. Plus he was already 8 years old. She said she will take a look at his skin problem the following day and give me the diagnosis.

But mom was adamant at putting him to sleep, because she was also afraid that his skin disease may infect Gable and also his eyes and ears seemed to be having problems as well. So I was resolved to call her on Friday and told her to euthanize Popeye. But the Dr. insists that we should continue treatment, and also said that we could try Z-Lid, a type of hypo-allergenic kibble that costs RM200 per 8kg bag ! It's the best in the market for dogs with really sensitive allergies.

She said the other alternative would be to leave Popeye at the clinic for a month so that they can try to treat him and hopefully there'll be improvements later. I said that I will call later to see what to do with Popeye, meanwhile they can continue to treat him.

Saturday came and left, and we still didn't have a decision. Mom was wavering between being really adamant at putting him down, and then suddenly saying maybe should keep him at the clinic for 2 weeks. I still dunno what to do.

On Sunday, I called the clinic again, and Dr. Ding answered. He said that the maggot wounds are much better now, and when I asked him about euthanizing Popeye, he said that his eating fine, and should not be euthanized. He also don't have the heart to do it. He suggests starting the medication to treat his skin problem, and that it was not contagious, so there should be no problem for Gable.

So I told him to keep Popeye there for a while, and that I won't have the time to see him that day, and that I will call on Monday to check up on his status. That's my quandary now.... to do or not to do...... Should he be euthanized or brought home for another chance ? How how how ?

No comments: