Saturday, April 26, 2008

Decision made

Well, I've decided about 2 weeks back that I'd be going for the operation. Although I was having 2nd thoughts about the op since the doc said that facial damage will be about 10-20%, but I think removing it is better than leaving it in my head. What if it grows as big as a melon ? It will squish my brains and eyes to 1 side !

Also, the alternative medicine that I was taking doesn't seem to be having any effect as all. Since last Sun, my left ear feels "blocked", a feeling akin to being on high land or when you have flu. I was a bit worried after the 3rd day so went to UM to see a doctor. Unfortunately, the group of docs I normally see had changed their shift from Wed/Fri to Tue/Thu. But I figured, what the heck, just go see one of them.

After waiting 1 hour, it was finally my turn. The doc did some tests using the tuning fork, then asked me to go do some auditory tests in Pantai because the machine in UM is under repair.

However, I decided not to do that. Instead I waited until evening to find out if the Prof Prepa was on duty. Upon finding that he was, I left at 6pm sharp and went home to collect my ah ma and the patient card.

I reached there around 7:20pm, and registered. After waiting a while, I went into the room. He checked my ear and said that my ears looked very clear. I can actually see in on the monitor. It was clear and clean.

He said it's probably due to the tumour. Then he sprayed something into my nose, and asked me to go outside and wait for a few minutes. After a while, he called me back in again. Then he poked a camera down my nose !

He showed me that the tumour is pressing against the tube, and he said that after removing the tumour, my ear's hearing should return to normal. Then I asked him again about the operation. He said that the facial nerves damages should be temporary, and for first 2-3 weeks, I won't be able to chew properly, especially on the left side.

I will probably be given 4-6 weeks' medical leave by the doctor. I will make sure to rest properly before going back to work, since I had been working so hard lately. I rarely leave the office before 8:30pm ! Therefore, it will indeed be a good time for me to take a well-deserved rest (well, at least I think so lor....)

I will be working until 28th, admitting on 29th and on 30th, the doc will be performing my operation. After that, I will be given medical leave for 4-6 weeks, depending on my recuperation progress. Of course, the longer the better ler ! Hehehe.... it IS a MAJOR operation, not to be taken lightly. However, the doc seemed pretty confident about the op, so hopefully everything goes well.

No comments: