Monday, May 5, 2008

My Operation - 1st & 2nd May

Somehow, I always end up waking up around 3am or 3:30am. The so-called witching hour. However, because it was so hot and stuffy, there's nothing much I could do. An hour later, the nurse came to check on my BP, glucose and temperature. Seems that I still have a bit of fever.

So by 6am, I decided to forego the thought of sleeping and sat up. I started working on a Sudoku puzzle and waited for my breakfast. I find that if I sleep for a long time, my back starts aching, but if I sit for a long time, my bum hurts. Sigh.... just can't win either way !

Finally breakfast arrives at 8am. Porridge again....... Soon, sis came with bro-in-law to "jaga" me. Must be damn boring for them as well. I read a bit of the papers, then decided to go sleep for a while. But quite difficult because I daren't turn my head too much. Around 10am, a doctor came by to check on me, and proceed to remove the bandages on my wound.

It was painful. Not painful on the wound, where the area was still numb, but painful when my hair got pulled ! The bandages were sticking SO tightly, even the doctor had a hard time trying to remove them. Finally, almost everything was off, and he asked the nurses to help me clean the wound, but the "drain" can only be removed the next day. I also told the doctor that I had a slight cough.

About an hour plus after the doctor left, the nurses came to help me clean up the wound, remove the excess bandages and also to remove the excess drip needle from my hand. PAINFUL ! Even now, the hole is still there.

Then lunch came. Porridge. Again. Sigh..... After lunch, I took a nap, but mom and nieces came to switch with sis and bro-in-law, and mom insists I wake up and talk to them. Said she wanted to ask me some questions, so I had to sit up and answer her. An hour later, she left with sis and bro-in-law, leaving Ange and Ade with me.

The nurse came and check my temperature, and said that I still have a bit of fever. Ade asked her whether I need some Panadol for my fever. Soon, she came back with the Panadol and also some cough syrup. Let me tell you, those cough syrups were GREAT !

After drinking, I actually managed to fall asleep, regardless of all the noise ! Hehehehe.... I woke up around 5pm, and chatted with my nieces for a while, then of course had my dinner. Before dinner arrived, a male aide came to ask me what I wanted for breakfast the next day ! Hurray ! No more porridge ! I asked for bread, rice with fish for lunch, and rice with fish for dinner.

But for tonight, the menu is the same. Porridge lor... what else. By that time, I was getting really sick of it ! Ange and Ade asked me to add some Marmite into the porridge so that it taste better.

I added a bit, and it does seem better, but just after that, my phone rang. Ah Ma called to remind Ange and Ade not to let me take the Marmite, because it's black, might cause the scar to turn dark wor. But what to do, already added into porridge, hehehe.. So I finished it off.

Then I dozed off again. My aunt and cousin came to visit me later in the evening. When I woke up, they were already there chatting with my nieces. I was wondering when the cough syrup will be served, so that I can get a decent night's rest. Ade asked the nurse who checked my temperature when I'd be given the "ubat tidur". The nurse looked puzzled, and told her that I'm not prescribed that, only cough syrup. Hehehehe.... Ade wanted to asked about that ler, because it can give me a good sleep, but instead of cough syrup, she said "ubat tidur". She was told that it'll be given around midnite. Great. I have to wait THAT long.

Around 9pm, they all left to let me rest. Ange said that she'll be coming tomorrow morning since she took leave. About 9:15pm, the nurse came with my Panadol and bless her, the cough syrup. I took it and *poof* went to sleep.

Unfortunately..... had to wake up around 3:30am AGAIN because my neighbour was coughing very very badly. The nurses were around her to try and help her remove the phelgm stuck in her throat. So, by 6:15am, I was again up and looking at the Sudoku puzzles.

At 8am, my bread came with some butter, some jam and one hard boiled egg. Hehehe... so nice. Finally, something to eat besides porridge. While I was eating it, the doctor came by to take a look at my face. He told me that I can be discharged on that day, and that the drain will be removed so that I can leave soon. He asked me to come back in 10 days to get the stitches removed, and in 2 weeks' time to get the report on the tumour. He said it was BIG and they took a lot of pictures.

Well, instead of showing you the actual ugly photo, let me show you a pictorial version. The tumour was 8.8cm ! HUGE ! Inside my FACE ! Goodness....


I called sis and Ange to tell them that I can be discharged already. I changed back to my own clothes, and started slowly packing some of my stuff. By the time Ange arrived, I had almost packed everything.

We then sat around to wait for the bill. Some time later, Prof Prepa also dropped by to take a look at me, and told me that everything looks fine. He said that instead of 10 days, I can come back next Thursday to try and get the report on the tumour and to remove the stitches. He said that the tumour should be benign, but a test will be done just to be sure.

After he left, I called mom and told her "I have bad news." She asked, "What ! What ! What happened ?" Then I told her, "Doc say I can come home today wor...." She said, "CHEH ! Aiyah, notchet go market. Okaylar." Hehehe.

Soon, we got bored waiting so I went to the ward counter to see when the bill will be ready. The counter guy passed me a prescription list which is supposed to be purchased from the Inpatient Prescription counter on the 1st floor in Menara Utama and then go make payment at the Inpatient Registration counter on the 2nd floor of Menara Utama.

Just then I remembered that I don't have any money with me since I passed everything including my wallet to sis ! Ange asked me not to worry and to wait in the ward while she goes and settle everything.

Poor thing, she had to walk sooooo far away. Soon, she came back and I asked her how much she had to pay. She said that instead of paying, they actually told her they have a balance of RM40 to return ! I was SHOCKED ! And extremely happy and thankful ! Not only was the operation a success, the cost which had me worrying is no longer a worry anymore.

Ange then fetch me home, and we reach my house around 11:45am. Later sis also came and all of them, including mom went out for lunch. Sis said I should stay home. Anyway, before I left, the nurse gave me some cough medicine, and I was already feeling its effect. After they left, I had a nice sleep.

It was nice to be back home. I got to watch my Astro channels, the AOD (Astro On Demand) shows, etc etc. Even the bed was more comfortable and most importantly, I got to logon to the Internet whenever I want.

I will be back to the hospital next week to remove my stitches and to see whether the report is out.

No comments: