Saturday, August 16, 2008

Sad, depressing, bleak, pathetic, stressful life

I have been neglecting my blog ever since I started work again in June. From the start, it was a crazy ride. The new client always had so much problems with their environment, especially with virus issues. Coupled with trouble-making staff who either goes on leave or MC or don't do as instructed, I had a hellish time trying to manage things there. Then the old team of 4 staff all resigned, with 1 leaving 24-hours notice, 1 at the end of July, 1 mid-August and 1 end-August. So my office had to look for replacement, and managed to employ 2 new staff.

Just when I thought things can't get much worse, they do ! On the 29th of July, they discovered data loss in 3 of their servers, with 1 of the server having the entire C partition missing ! My staff and I scrambled to copy the data out of the server before it died. I was supposed to be on 1/2 day leave in the afternoon, coz I had to sent the faulty Khind airpot which I bought to the service centre in Shah Alam.

Once done, I quickly sent it back home then went back to office, reaching 6pm. Me and 2 of my staff stayed overnight to quickly setup another temporary server, and to copy data out from the failing server. The next morning, we had to check and configure the workstations to link with the new server. I finally got to leave the office at 3:30pm and went back home to sleep, skipping dinner.

The next day, I went back to work at 12pm and worked until around 9pm. On Saturday, went back to work again at 9am as there was a scheduled power failure at 1:30pm. Power came on at 3:00pm, and I went to check and ensure that the servers were all started up properly.

UNFORTUNATELY ....... 1 server, and this is the server that authenticates users, failed to boot up ! I nearly pulled all the hair from my roots. Tried ways and means to get it started but it failed. So I had to call emergency backup from our vendor, who finally arrived in the office around 7:15pm.

Another colleague of mine dropped by to help out. Finally around 9:30pm, we got the server up and running again. By the time we checked to ensure everything was ok and lock up the office to leave, it was already 10pm.

By this time, there was already suspicion of sabotage from those who resigned. Then 1 of my staff had to go do something stupid by refusing to let us check the notebook. When we refuse to give him back his notebook, he made a grab at it and took off with the hard disk, then return another unit to the office which couldn't be accessed.

So we sent it off to our vendor for recovery, and lo-behold, we managed to get the hard disk working again. There was NO operating system in the hard disk ! So he actually swapped it before returning the hard disk to the office. I can't imagine how someone can be such a dummy !

Right now, he's being suspended. The missing data for 2 of the servers are back, but the other server was not so lucky. It's a very old, obsolete application with no support even on the database, and the files that we managed to recover were actually dated 1 1/2 years' back. Unfortunately there were no backups because the backup drive was faulty and is only now being replaced.

So I had to be interviewed by the auditors and by the HR on this matter. My office had also employed a computer forensics company to try and determine the cause and possibly to catch perpetrator.

Most of my working days are from 9am - 9pm, and with things so stressful, sometimes I walk around like a zombie and can't even think straight because my mind is so tired ! However, this problem has actually forced me to think about migration, especially to Australia, since I think companies there will have a much more relaxed atmosphere.

Then on 14th August (which incidentally was the 14th day of 7th lunar calendar month) I had an accident ! I was driving home, happy that I could actually leave 8:30pm, and was going up the slope of the main road outside Plaza OUG.

Out of nowhere, this stupid red car suddenly appeared in my line of sight and I immediately tried braking, but I still hit the passenger side of his car. We stopped by the side to assess the damage to our cars. My light was slightly chipped and the car no plate in pieces, and the bumper was loosened slightly. His car had a dent in the sides.

This Kelvin fella had to cheek to say I was wrong. I told him it was my road, and since he was the one trying to cross the road, he was in the wrong. He insisted I pay or claim insurance, so I said I'll think about it and contact him again. We swapped mobile numbers.

The next morning he already called to say he can't lock his door. I asked him for his car registration no and told him I'll call him back. He must have easily called me around 20 times from morning till late afternoon, but I ignored the calls because ...
1. I wanted to ask opinions of my colleagues on who was in the wrong
2. My mobile and bluetooth was dead and needed to be recharged
3. I was busy like mad the whole day

Finally I called him back around 3:30pm. He told me he will fix his own car, but ask me to pay for his compound, as he has made a police report. I answered I won't coz no matter how, I was not in the wrong, and I wasn't even planning on claiming against his insurance. He still insisted since I hit him I had to pay and said if I don't then I should be careful not to let him see me or find my car. I immediately told him that I may go report police, because should anything happen to me or my car, I will hold him responsible.

About 15 minutes after I finished my conversation with him, someone claiming to be his "sister" called, again on the same issue and trying to get me to pay. Then suddenly the "sister" said that she is actually the "mother". I told her that I was threathened by the son and she should not ask me to pay for anything since her son was the wrong party.

Finally she got so upset she told me to keep the RM300 to buy my own coffin and hope that I will die in a crash with a huge lorry, then she hung up. I thought to myself, with a mother like this, no wonder the son was also like a gangster. Such a shitty mouth, she better be careful herself.

Then I had to go make a police report at Jalan Bandar since there was a 24-hour deadline. At the police station, I put in the report what he and his mom threathened me with. Police said he was wrong and asked me to claim his insurance, and for what he said, I should report it to Jabatab Jenayah.

So, for everyone, the stupid driver is Kelvin, car no BJT6151, mobile no 012-257 2030 and his mom's mobile is 016-384 1980. These are rude, uncouth people who likes to curse and threathen other people even when they are in the wrong.

Well, let's see what other trials and tribulations I will have coming ...............

No comments: